So, I probably could have written something before now, but it would probably have just been a rant on the state of healthcare in Germany and my personal feelings about it. However, let’s do it a little differently.
I have been pretty busy, as usual. In fairness I would say that I have arguably been busier than usual if I am completely honest.
Yes my knee is still screwed, no the police haven’t done anything, no I can’t change that…so, we move on.
In terms of the knee, for the last week or so I have been unable to use any pain relief due to being given a Cortisone course. The idea being that the tablets will help reduce the swelling under my kneecap and allow me to get the movement I need. However, if (when) this doesn’t work, I have to spend a week in Hospital with a constant drip of cortisone directly to the knee and “Extreme Physiotherapy”. That last bit is a direct quote from the doc..so imagine my joy. Still, at least there is finally a plan for treatment on the table.
So, for the last week or so I have been suffering from the various side-effects of the drug. Which has made daily life interesting, in an “are you fucking kidding me?!?” kind of way.
A couple of months ago my middle brother got married and the whole family came together. It was a superb weekend and everyone had a great time. A few stand-out moments for me:
- Someone pointed out that it was funny I was on the “kids” table. My response…read the names, sitting at a table with all of my kids was the best thing I could have hoped for.
- K & L wanting me to be involved and asking me to be a human megaphone for announcements through the day
- Getting to have my first proper drink with 2 of my kids, as they are now old enough. Oh, and having them buy their old man a drink or 2.
- My Mum fretting that we were massively outnumbered and my Dad working out just who we had and then sitting back and stating “It may only be 17, but WHAT a 17…I would take on the world with this group”
- All of the speeches from our side of the family revolving around stories about alcohol…My fave being “Dad taught us a major life lesson…when you are having a skinful, make your last one a Malibu. Because, when you inevitably throw up, it will taste like coconut”
- Everyone laughing at that, especially us 3 brothers…as it is a true story. Also, Z turns to me and say..”Yeah, Granddad told me that too”.
I will be going back in May for the wedding of P & S, so I fully expect another blinding weekend.
During the last 4 months, I haven’t been able to train..so I managed to gain about 12kg. To counter this, I got a Hand Exercise Bike…and, despite looking like a demented hamster when I use it, in the last week I have managed to shed 4 of the 12 that I gained. I am starting to believe that I really should be as small as I now am. The slightest bit of exercise and I drop kilos like lepers lose body parts. The other, not considered, upside is that I am now doing a massive upper body workout every day…Who knows, I may end up ripped…but with tiny tiny legs.
I built, or more accurately helped to build, a Gaming Community. We are over 100 members strong already and are now looking into bringing more games on board and taking this thing as big as possible. For me, it was a nice way to reuse a dormant domain that has too much meaning associated with it to let slide. WolfLAN is back and we have a totally custom website that one of our members built for us. It. Is. Awesome.
If you play Overwatch or like to Role Play some AD&D, look us up. We are a very active community. YouTube videos are being made, streams are being twitched, laughs are being had. We have even managed to reconnect with a few old WolfLAN’ers from back in the day.
On top of all that, I still manage to be very busy with IT for people outside of work. Upgrades, repairs, troubleshooting, websites, phones…if it’s IT related, I am probably helping someone.
I’ll be honest, it’s no wonder I haven’t written anything for a while. I will try and rectify that from now on
Here’s the thing. Despite the problems I have with the knee, which really limits my mobility and what I can achieve in a day, my life is still awesome. I am still Mr Positivity and am enjoying life. I don’t feel the need to make any big changes. My life is full and varied. My friendships are very important to me, my family is important to me, my hobbies are important to me. I wouldn’t change where I am (figuratively and literally) for the world. I guess the only improvement I could conceivably make, right now, would be a relationship. Assuming I find the right woman, of course
Also, Deutsche Bahn can fuck off…although I suspect I will write more about that later.